Tuesday 11 July 2017

Be Yourself | Scrap the Girls July Challenge

Hi everyone! Time to share my take on this month's challenge at Scrap the Girls. This month's challenge is a fabulous mood board Krisy designed called "Dark Moon". I loved this board - it's a bit dark, eclectic and left of centre - of course, it was right up my alley. I decided to scrap my page in a style that tried to reflect those qualities.

First, here's a look at the board...


And here the layout I created inspired by the board...

"Be Yourself"

The first (and most obvious) element I drew from the board was the black and white stripes. As soon as I saw them, I knew I had to use this striped paper from Cocoa Vanilla Studio for my layout base. I then wanted to add a touch of colour, so I drew on the reddish tones from the face paint in the picture. I was also drawn to the typed quote on the mood board, and I was inspired to use one of my Viva Las VegaStamps quote stamps.


To create my background, I first applied some Colour Blast white Heavy Gesso to the centre of my page. This not only gave me a surface to apply my other mediums, but it also softened the look of the stripes in my focal area. I then added some Colour Blast Colour Spray (Sunset) using a brush, and then tilted my page to allow the colour to run around and pool in places. I also splattered some around my page.


There were a number of elements on my page that directly related to the quote I chose to use. In reference to the "beige square holes" I used some woodgrain print chipboard embellishments from the Cocoa Vanilla Studio 'Wild at Heart' collection. I added the silhouette photo of myself and positioned it so it was coming out of the frame. I also added a number of stars around my page to reflect the "supernova" reference in the quote; including the Viva Las VegaStamps star stamp that I positioned under the frame, and some fussy cut stars from the new Cocoa Vanilla Studio 'You Rock' collection.


I added extra depth to my background using more stamps from VLVS and some small torn pieces of Cocoa Vanilla washi tape sticker; as well as some subtle texture using messy cotton thread tucked behind my photo. The bitch please stamp was from Typo, and added a bit of extra sass to my page.


To help balance my design, I created a small cluster in the top corner of my page. I included more wood grain elements (die cut film strip and chipboard banner, both from Cocoa Vanilla Studio 'Wild at Heart' collection) as well as another fussy cut star.
To finish my layout, I added some splatters of Colour Blast Road Base Colour Spray.

I hope you will all play along with this month's challenge at Scrap the Girls. Remember that you can use any part of the mood board to inspire your own project. Entries close at the end of the month, and this month's winner will receive a prize from The Resin Rainbow. Looking forward to seeing your take on this board!
Until next time, happy scrapping! X

No comments: