Thursday 15 June 2017

Happy | Scrap the Girls June Challenge

Hi everyone,
I am here today to share my take on this month's challenge at Scrap the Girls. This month the challenge is a sketch that has so far remained unnamed, so if you have a good idea pop over the to STG blog post HERE and leave your suggestion. The person who suggests the winning name will be invited for a guest design spot later in the year.

Here is the sketch...


So, onto my layout. It probably goes without saying that I am not the greatest at sketch challenges, as I have a habit of "wandering off" once I get started. This one was no exception, but I am hoping you can still all see how the sketch inspired me. (That's the beauty of sketch challenges, it is simply a jumping off point for your own creativity.)

I chose to scrap a photo of myself that was taken in December 2016 when I climbed to the top of Mount Beerwah (all 556m of her!) This was a personal challenge that I was so happy to finally overcome, after having started a journey to lose weight and get healthier in October. (I was 8kg down at this stage and have now lost over another 8kg since.) I call this photo my "Rocky shot". It was an extremely hot day (about 36 degrees) by the time we got to the top and were on the way back down, and to say it knocked me around physically is an understatement!


I used lots of my favourite supplies on this page. I started by creating a mixed media background using Colour Blast 'Singin' the Blues' Colour Shimmer Spray and some gorgeous golden 'Bling' Colour Paste. I also used my fave stamp from Viva Las VegaStamps. This formed the basis for the circular part of the sketch.


Next, I moved onto creating some layers behind my photo. I used papers from the 'Wild at Heart' collection from Cocoa Vanilla Studio; along with a paper doily, frayed gauze, cotton thread and chevron print paper bag from my stash.


I love the colour palette and variety of patterns in the 'Wild at Heart' collection; not to mention the stunning array of butterflies that are just so pretty and perfect for fussy cutting!


I used one of the coordinating wood veneer words for my title, and I really don't think there was any better word to describe how I felt at the moment this photo was taken. The small phrases and arrow all came from the accessory sticker sheet; and there is one of the flair buttons from the collection on there too.


I made sure I included some (honest) handwritten journaling on my page (although I am unlikely to forget - I still have some battle scars on my bum to remind me!)


To finish off my page I added some splatters using my Colour Blast Colour Sprays (every good page needs some splatter!)

I hope you will play along with us at Scrap the Girls. Our sponsor this month is the fabulous Charms Creations (and you know I am already a fan of Charm's embellishments.) Looking forward to seeing lots of entries - you have until the end of June to get them in!

I will be back again soon with another project to share. Until then, happy scrapping! X

1 comment:

Lizzyc said...

Fannntastic layout, what a great photo too.. love the back ground details... and lovely to say Hi last friday!!