Saturday 15 October 2016

Stay Curious | Scrap the Girls Guest Designer

Hi everyone!
I was recently contacted by my friend Krisy Podolak, who is the owner of the Scrap the Girls challenge, asking if I would join this month's challenge as a guest designer. Being a long time follower and participant (as time allows) of the STG challenge, and a friend and fan of Krisy herself, of course I said yes! (You can read the post on the Scrap the Girls blog HERE)

So this was the challenge that Krisy sent me...


A stunning board, I am sure you will agree, but one that sent me into a minor tailspin when I saw the PURPLE! Long-time followers of my blog will already know I freely admit it isn't my favourite colour to scrap with. In fact, it probably doesn't even make my top 10! haha

But let it be known that I am never one to shy away from a challenge, so I went to my stash and had a think about it and this is what I came up with...


And you know what? I am actually really happy with the purple on this layout! I did it using a Colour Blast Colour Shimmer Dust (Violet) and I really like the rich tone of it. I mixed the dust with water and then applied it with a brush as a watercolour. Cool huh?

After I had the purple down as my base, I went to town adding layers to my mixed media creation.


Included in my layers was joint tape; torn strips of washi; stamping - including some Tim Holtz and Viva Las VegaStamps with both black and grey inks; and some splattered white Flutter Colour paint from Flutterby Designs.


Next, I created the layers for my photo mat. This is where I wanted to bring in the subtle green and more of the grey. I used a piece of patterned paper as the base; then added some tissue paper, paper doily, dip dye printed tag tied with twine, flair button and pieces of a wood veneer frame (all from D-lish Scraps). I also added some gauze for extra texture.


I wanted to add some words to my layout, but didn't want a big title to overwhelm my page; so I used some Snippet Strips from Flutterby Designs to help convey my theme. I placed the stay curious one on my feature photo to act as my layout title. I added the Charms Creations butterfly heart to the corner of my secondary photo to act as my feature embellishment.


To help balance my layout I added some Cocoa Vanilla Studio wood veneer pieces to the left of my photos, and then my handwritten journaling. To finish, I added some stamped phrases; a few small splatters of Heidi Swapp Seafoam Color Shine to tie the green into my background, and a few splatters of black as well for extra depth.

Thanks for stopping by today so I could share this. If you are a purple fan, or even if you aren't but you like a challenge, make sure you enter this month's challenge at Scrap the Girls

1 comment:

Krisy said...

Thank you for playing along. You layout as always #nailedit!