Saturday 3 September 2016

My Heroes | Show Us Your Stuff September Challenge

Hi again everyone!
Back today with another design team layout to share, this time for Show Us Your Stuff. This month's challenge is to use a sketch designed by Krisy Podolak, and to also include some mixed media. And as always, your project also needs to include a handmade embellishment.

Here is Krisy's sketch...


And here is what I created...

"My Heroes"

I just love this photo I snapped of my cheeky boys wearing their new "super hero" shirts with capes they got for their birthday; putting on their best tough faces.


I used a sheet of patterned paper from the Cocoa Vanilla Studio 'Made of Awesome' collection as the base for my layout. My mixed media background was created using a mix of Colour Blast 'Road Base' Colour Shimmer Spray; some of my new Viva Las VegaStamps and then topped off with some red Flutterby Designs Flutter Colour paint. I also added some small pieces of torn washi tape from D-lish Scraps.


My feature handmade embellishment was this cool flair button from Flutterby Designs, which I nested on some messy black cotton thread. (And how freakin' awesome is that cool drippy slime stamp too?)


I kept my embellishments relatively simple, as I didn't want to overwhelm the effect of the background. I used some die cut ephemera pieces, wood veneer, stickers, vellum stars and enamel dots - all from Cocoa Vanilla Studio.


The tiny alphas I used for my title were also from Cocoa Vanilla. I deliberately chose them so they would blend in with my layout, rather than stand out. Finally, I added some black splatters and some stamping and I was done.

I really enjoyed creating this layout! It was a great sketch to work with and perfect timing to give my new Viva Las VegaStamps a run. 

If you would like to join in with this month's challenge, you have until the end of the month to get your project linked up via the SUYS blog. Up for grabs for this month's winner is a fabulous prize pack from Krisy herself. In the meantime, make sure you support Krisy by popping over to her Popleopod blog and her popleopod Instagram to see her awesome projects and find links to her process videos too. 

Til next time, happy scrapping! X

1 comment:

Lizzyc said...

Oh that photo makes me smile... how cute... and love your layout, the background is so cool and fabulous inspiration for the challenge!!